Friday 3 September 2010

End of week 1

Friday 3 September: It looks like today is dress-down Friday here – at least, judging from what people are wearing – no one has said anything about it to me. That said, I am not sure I have sufficient of a wardrobe with me to dress down much. No circumcision discussion at lunch – it was the dress rehearsal for tomorrow’s debate and most of the others were in another room.

I was hoping to go on a visit to a project this afternoon but it was cancelled at the last minute. It was to be to a small business that had been given a loan but I gather the chickens had been sold and the woman who runs the shop was out this afternoon.

Although there are a number of local languages here the main (and, I am told, official) language is English. There are however a number of local dialects and, naturally, a local pronunciation of English. I doubt I will learn enough of these to disentangle the influences, but it took me a while before I realised that when someone talked to me about shopping at ‘Arketty’ they were in fact referring to the centre with the sign outside which reads ‘Arcade’.

No comments:

Post a Comment